Monday, February 1, 2010

Invincible (music)

Anyone that knows me knows I'm a huge music fiend. I love music. All kinds. If I had to pick my top 3 passions, Games and Music would be two of them. Given that, I've been so excited over the last few years as game soundtracks have become a serious endeavor. True, Square's been at it for a long, long time with their excellent FF soundtracks. But the rest of the industry is catching up. So many times I'll stop playing whatever game I'm in the middle of and just listen to the music.

When Wrath was released I bought the Collector's Edition for one reason and one reason only: the CD. Everything else that came with it is nice, don't get me wrong. But I really only paid the extra $$$ for the CD. And every time one of those tracks pops up on my iPod, I just smile and geek out a little bit. Usually I can think of what I'd be doing in game in the areas where that music plays.

The music in WoW has always amazed me and I'm one of the few people I know that play with the music turned on (except in Stormwind). All the different themes and ideas. Although, to date, the single best piece of music written for the game has been in the Wrath opening cinematic. Even without the visuals and Terenas's voiceover, the music alone tells the story.

About a week ago, Blizz released this piece of music titled "Invincible." If you haven't heard it yet, go now and listen.

You can hear a lot of the same themes running through this piece as are in the opening cinematic, but they definitely take on a much more somber tone. And by "somber" I mean "downright sad."

Speculation and rumors are that this is the music that's going to run under the cinematic that plays when you defeat the Lich King in ICC, which would make sense. This definitely sounds like the music of a long-fought, but hollow victory.

Of course, all speculation will likely be confirmed tomorrow when 3.2.2 drops. I have no doubt said cinematic will be in the patch files. It's going to be really hard for me not to run off and watch it the moment it gets posted on YouTube, but I really want to try and wait to see it for the first time, in game, when our guild earns it. (Of course with another weekend of failed attempts on Rotface behind us, I don't know when that's going to be...)

In the mean time, I'm going to continue to listen to this over and over and over and try not to get a little teary each and every time.
blog comments powered by Disqus