Thursday, February 25, 2010

Not to complain, but...

So last night I encountered one of my biggest pet peeves in all of WoW.

The night before I had scheduled an open-invite Lower ICC 10 run with the intent of mixing some members of our progression team and some non-progression members to help them get more gear/experience. I scheduled the raid for our usual start-organizing time of 19:45.

I ended up getting stuck at work almost 50 minutes late, and by the time I'd made dinner, eaten, and logged on, it was 19:50. I immediately checked the calendar and saw that 14 people had accepted for the raid.

One was a double sign-up (a main and an alt of the same player). Down to 13. Two weren't online...11. So I was going to have to ask one person to sit.

As I was weighing all the options (and figuring out which two people I was going to have to ask to come on toons they didn't accept on because we were short a tank and a healer) I was informed of this scenario:

One of the newer guild members (only invited a couple days previous) had spent the better part of the last two hours trying to organize his own ICC 10 PuG. Even though he knew there was a guild run of it that night and had, himself, accepted. He was even attempting to pull guild members into his PuG. Only when it seemed clear to him that our guild run was going to get off the ground long before his did he just stop and wait.

Guess who didn't make the cut?

It drives me crazy when we get new recruits that seem to think gchat is nothing more than a dedicated line to potential PuGgers. Every time they log on, they're immediately asking for groups for X dungeon or Y raid. Even when it's stuff they know we run as a guild on a set schedule.

Don't try and pick people up from the guild to run the weekly raid when you know we schedule guild runs of it on Wednesdays and Sundays.

No, I'm not going to drop my Fish Feast farming for you when you want me to tank your undergeared butt through H HoR, especially when it's 20 seconds after you've received the ginvite.

Our Friday guild run is scheduled to start in 10 minutes. No one's going to join your VoA group right now. Stop asking.

At the very least this kind of behavior is inappropriate. Honestly, though, I find it completely disrespectful.

Granted, I typically only have to put up with this kind of thing for a week or so. Every time one of these people come into our guild, they find out that pretty much no one is willing to be their personal group servants and they move on. But at the same time, enough individuals come through often enough like this that it feels like a constant battle.

C'est la vie.

1 comment:

  1. /agree

    I wonder how much this problem has been amplified by the success of the LFD tool.

    Before, if you wanted to run a heroic you usually tried to assemble an all-guild run. Sometimes that took 10, 20, 30 minutes or more to get together.

    Now the LFD has made the entire process faster and more convenient. If you can't get a guild run, you'll get into a pug soon enough. If that's the case, then everyone is a potential pugger, guild or not.

    I think that the LFD tool, while amazing, has detracted from the purpose of a guild. Thus you get people like that guy who are in the guild just to have green chat.

    ReplyDelete