Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Better late than never

Overall it was a pretty slow WoW weekend for me, mostly due to the fact that I spent half of it skiing.

I got my UI set back up with ShadowedUI in place of ag_UnitFrames. I went with it primarily because I was able to set it up to look almost exactly the same. There's a few things I'm still not completely happy with, but I think it's just because they're different and I need to adjust.

I got my DK up to 78 and got a full Savage Saronite set of armor crafted for him. Now I just need to find a workable PvP spec and take him into the BGs to see how that goes.

I got kicked from a VoA pug before it was even full for having too low of a gearscore. I found another PuG and quickly got Toravon 10 and 25 kills (scoring my Sanctified Lasherweave Legguards in the process). I checked the Armory feed of the guy who kicked me. No Toravon kills for him this week.

And, finally, I participated in our guild-first kill of Yogg-Saron.


The fight was a lot of fun. Probably one of the best I've seen yet. And while we did significantly outgear the encounter, it still felt really good to get in there and get him down.

Our biggest problem in the past is that we never really had enough time to make repeated attempts on him. And the fight was so complex that we would get overwhelmed as soon as anyone made the tiniest mistake. It was way too frantic and it felt impossible to get a really good grip on what was going on and how we needed to handle it.

I don't think our gear made the fight trivial. In fact, we still had a number of wipes before finally getting the kill. What our gear did for us was give us a mistake buffer. Instead of dying the instant we screwed up, we had time to recover and learn. I have no doubt that--now truly understanding how the fight mechanics work--if we were to revert back to Ulduar gear levels, we would be able to replicate our victory.

One thing I really am bummed about, though: I'd heard that the music and speech entering phase 3 is some of the best in the game and I've been looking forward to hearing it for months. But I was so keyed in on the actual fight that I completely forgot to listen when it actually came around. And I doubt we'll be taking the time to go back and do it again any time soon.

I tried finding a YouTube vid or something that showed the fight with the actual in-game sound instead of an imposed soundtrack, but came up empty. If anybody knows where I can find such an untainted vid, please let me know. I would be eternally grateful.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta say San. I would love to get back into Ulduar and down him again. I heard a bit of the music and it sounded so epic. And i feel like going back in there for Hard modes etc would be fun. =)

    Argathne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed my connection issues and would go back if it was put together. I will also spend my goof off work time trying to find you the music.


    Cheres

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6Pht3iRq8Y

    This has a bunch of it. Will poke around some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this video a minute ago. Its pretty good for it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV_B3wZhrRY


    Argathne

    ReplyDelete